Re: [ecasound] Ecasound with no hardware?

From: Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 00:10:49 EET

--- On Mon, 3/9/09, William Goldsmith <bill@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> From: William Goldsmith <bill@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: [ecasound] Ecasound with no hardware?
> To: "ecasound-list" <ecasound-list@email-addr-hidden>
> Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 11:15 AM
> Hi there Ecasound wizards,
>
> I've been using Ecasound for over 10 years now as part
> of a radio
> automation system. I use it as a wrapper for the playback
> of MP3
> files, executing fade-ins and fade-outs on the files. Each
> file
> playback event launches a new instance of ecasound, so that
> during
> song transitions -- or when DJ breaks are overlaid over the
> beginning
> or end of a song -- two, or sometimes three, instances of
> ecasound
> will be playing simultaneously. I use OSS sound card
> drivers (or
> OSS's vmixer utility) to accept multiple sources and
> sum them for
> output via a s/pdif interface.
>
> This all works fine, but in some cases I don't export
> the audio at
> all, but rather feed it directly to an MP3 stream encoder
> like ices or
> sc_trans. In that case, I'm using the sound card &
> sound drivers
> basically as a mount point & summing network. There
> *must* be some
> way I could play back multiple files to a single output,
> and pipe that
> output to the input of a stream encoder, without needing
> the audio
> hardware.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> thanks
> -bg
> -----
> Bill Goldsmith
> Radio Paradise
> www.radioparadise.com

> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009,
> San Francisco, CA
> -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open
> Sourcing the Enterprise
> -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open
> source participation
> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the
> source code: SFAD
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

Why do you think 'ecasound' needs HW ?

For example, this

ecasound -i file.flac -o file,mp3

works just fine, and no audio HW is involved.

There are two reserved "file names" - stdin and stdout, so they can be used
to get data from pipe and/or to put data into pipe - I've been using these
features, here is a command line from a script of mine:

\$ECASOUND -D -z:nodb -f 16,2,44100 -i stdin -eli:1010 -eli:1020 -b 4096 -ea:$gain_in_percent -ev -x -o $output

- $output can be either true audio (ALSA/OSS) device or a file.

The above command/'ecasound' instance gets its data from pipe.

Regards,
  Sergei.